Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The eggs are coming! The eggs are coming!

I received notice from my friend, Chris, that the 31 hens he bought in the early spring in hopes to have them begin to lay eggs for us in July have indeed laid some eggs. Today he gathered 17 eggs. Yeterday he gathered 6. Some of those may be smaller eggs (also known as pullet eggs), and some may be medium or large eggs. I am not sure if we will have eggs to purchase on Thursday, but I suppose it is time for me to gather the final information on the egg shares from him and pass it on to you. (Chris was nervous about offereing egg shares in case the hens never laid any eggs). I will verify his plans for offering all of us eggs and then let you know the details like price per dozen and how to get them during your pick up time.
In case you are wondering about how these hens have been raised, they roam the great outdoors during the day and are put inside a coop at night (to protect them from predators). They are fed a natural feed, but it is not certified organic. They are not given antibiotics to prevent them from getting sick. (They don't need it since they can graze on pasture as they like and get plenty of fresh outside air.) They are a sturdy breed of hen that has been around for a while, and has not been terribly overbred in order to get maximum laying production out of each bird. Chris describes his hen keeping as "the way they were raised 100 years ago". If you have any questions post a comment, and once I know the answer I will post one back. Or send me an email.

No comments: