Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ready. Set. Go!

This week marks the first pick ups for 2009. We have been so busy the past few weeks that all I can manage to post are quick photos from the field while I walk to my next chore. Mom has been working as hard as she can (and that is pretty hard) to get everything planted in the fields between the rains. We did manage to get into our lettuce patch today to plant some in the field. Also we were finally able to plant our summer squash.
Even when it is raining, we are here doing farm work. Mom was working on transplanting lots of flowers and lettuce into larger cells. I was working on a new sign for the end of our lane, and the handbook for 2009 CSA members. The handbook should be finished for everyone next week. I usually have it ready long before the season starts, but this season we have initiated several things - the cheese CSA, a different traffic pattern through our neighbor's right of way, egg shares (they will start in July) and a earlier pick up time. These things have all taken more of my attention that I have first expected, and I am so sorry that I haven't been able to tie up all of the loose ends sooner.
Tonight they are calling for frost in the northern tier of the state and snow in NY. It is not helping us much. Though the average temperature for May was normal, the cold night time temperatures that keep coming at us are slowing the growth of our very leafy crops. The lettuce is staying lower to the ground that I wanted. It is very sweet though.
A new blog with recipes and information about the foods that we grow will be unveiled tomorrow eveining after I order milk. (If you want to have milk here for your next pick up, I need to have the order by sundown on Monday.) A link will be posted on the right of this page to take you there. The address is http://www.sharedearthfarmeats.blogspot.com. It will explain how to post your favorite recipes for others to try. You don't need to have any special ID to post things. If you aren't comfortable posting anything, please read the recipes and get ideas of what to make for dinner.
See you this week! I can't wait...

No comments: