Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Field work already?

Yesterday was such a perfect day the I couldn't resist the call of the great outdoors. Mom has a cold and has been staying home to try to get over it faster, so Ethan and I headed to the greenhouse. We hooked up hoses to begin watering our plants more efficiently than we can over the winter. Our well set up freezes during cold spells, so in the fall we filled a black plastic barrel with water and put it in the greenhouse. We dipped out of that with watering cans through the cold days. Now we can use a hose with a nice water breaker that plants seems to love almost as much as rain. I have missed that piece of equipment.

While we were poking around our shed we watched a Mourning Cloak butterfly warm itself in the sun and get a drink from a wet area on the ground. I tried to take some photographs, bt Ethan got really excited and scared it away. On our way up to lunch, we dicovered about six Pine Siskins hanging upside down in our pine trees. I just love the diversity of early spring.

I checked on the peas to see if they had sprouted yet. No. They need a few more days. I peeked on the garlic that Shiela planted last fall, and found a few spring weeds. Thirty minutes and one cranky preschooler later, the weeds were chased away.

No comments: